The Lightest Material in the World

Scientists have invented a new material that is so lightweight it can sit atop a fluffy dandelion without crushing the little fuzzy seeds.

It’s so lightweight, Styrofoam is 100 times heavier.

It actually consists of 99.99 percent air. The other 0.01 percent is made up of interconnected hollow tubes with a wall thickness of 100 nanometers. That’s 1,000 times thinner than a human hair.

To get technical about it, the density of the material is 0.9 milligrams per cubic centimeter. In comparison, the lightest sample of aerogel, the stuff that’s been called “solid smoke,” has a density of 1.1 mg/cc. Learn more here or here.


Tags: ,

One Response to “The Lightest Material in the World”

  1. W. R. Woolf Says:

    Very interesting 🙂
    I wonder what they’re going to use it for…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: